Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy
"You can't know what you don't know. You can't know
about things you have yet to discover."
- Jonathan Raymond
Pediatric Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy Services
Providing you and your child with the tools and skills needed to improve eating, speech, sleep, and breathing is the SPRINKLES ON OUR SUNDAE! Our goal is to identify tethered oral tissues (tongue-tie) and minimize the negative effects (facial muscle weakness, difficulty chewing/eating, speech errors, open mouth breathing, tongue thrust, neck/facial tension, etc.) We work with you and other medical professionals to determine the best plan for success.
An OROFACIAL MYOFUNCTIONAL EVALUATION may be the next step for your child if:
- breathes with their mouth open
- drools excessively
- snores and/or grinds their teeth
- has had speech services for many years without progress
- has difficulty falling asleep and/or staying asleep
- is a restless sleeper
- has night terrors often
- has a tongue thrust
- experienced prolonged pacifier use (past 6 months) or sucks thumb/fingers
Through “myo” therapy we use facial and tongue exercises to promote an accurate resting posture (jaw, teeth, tongue and lips), improve breathing/sleep and facilitate adequate chewing/swallowing. We are available to work with ENT’s, orthodontists, dentists, oral surgeons and other professionals as needed to provide you and your child with the best treatment plans and outcomes. Initially an evaluation will take place. We look at the “whole person” when determining the best treatment plan.
If treatment is warranted we will use a combination of exercises in therapy to help improve skills in the following areas:
- Tongue and Facial Rest Postures
- Chewing and Swallowing Skills
- Establish Adequate Nasal Breathing
- Eliminate Harmful Oral Habits